- Striations (Stripes due to the arrangement of the thick and thin filaments in the sarcomeres)
- Nuclei (many per cell in this type)
- This muscle type is striated (striped) because of the arrangement of the myofilaments in the cells.
- Skeletal muscle is under our conscious (voluntary) control.
- The cells are long and cylindrical
- The cells have many nuclei, so that repair can take place relatively quickly.
- Produce skeletal movement
- Maintain posture and position
- Support soft tissues
- Guard entrances and exits
- Maintain body temperature
- Storage of energy
- Skeletal muscles that attach to bones and occasionally skin